St Petroc's Hotel and Bistro, Padstow, Cornwall
-Click here for exhibition catalogue-
Acclaimed contemporary artist Kurt Jackson and treasured British chef and restaurateur Rick Stein, join together to celebrate their passion and inspiration from the banks of the River Camel with a new summer art exhibition ‘A Bite of The Camel’.
Opening for a summer-long show on the 16th May at St Petrocs Hotel, Padstow, Rick Stein and Jill Stein are adorning the walls with Kurt Jackson’s latest landscape paintings. These paintings show the trace of the Camel’s river course from the source on the moors down to the mouth between Stepper and Pentire Points.
“Having Kurt Jackson's paintings in the restaurant is exciting enough, but when I met him and discovered that he was painting the Camel from its source on Bodmin Moor to Stepper and Pentire Point it fired me up to match what he was painting with cooking.” [Rick Stein].
Guests can view the exhibition free of charge in the hotel and all the original artwork is for sale to the public with prices starting from £3000. A Bite of The Camel - limited edition celebration catalogue – introduced by Kurt Jackson and Rick Stein, will also be available to buy at the exhibition £15.
“It is a natural collaboration to celebrate the artistic essence of the Camel with someone equally as passionate about the culinary side of the river” [Kurt Jackson].
For the first time, The Camel is to be celebrated with food, drink and art – all produced on this great Cornish river. The exhibition will open on 16th May with a private preview and culinary evening attended by Rick Stein and Jill Stein.
The preview evening will include:
• Camel River inspired menu* for dinner at St Petroc’s Hotel & Bistro, Padstow. £70 pp.
• A special dinner, Bed & Breakfast offer available for the preview evening. From £300 for two.
Menu – exhibition open night 16th May 2014
Porthilly oysters deep-fried with wild garlic mayonnaise
Razor clams, purslane butter, cider pickle shallots and borage leaves
Porthilly mussels with St Enodoc asparagus and peas
Wild salmon with Camel Valley brut emulsion, wood sorrel and crispy salmon skin
Roasted monkfish with new season garlic and wild fennel
Short rib of Bodmin Moor Dexter, pickled Trerethern Farm spring vegetables and Cornish new potatoes
Sea buckthorn, Pencarrow strawberries, buttermilk and borage
Coffee and petit fours
*Menu is subject to change, depending on availability of produce.
To book please call Rick Stein's St Petroc's Bistro reservations department on 01841 532 700.
- John Dory. February 2014 mixed media on board 16 x 21cm
- Toy boat. Across the Camel from Hawkers cove. October 2013 mixed media on paper 57 x 61cm
- Jug of campion, buttercup and cuckoo flower, Advent. June 2013 mixed media on board 18 x 16cm
- Calm before the storm, Rock to Padstow, low water. February 2014 mixed media on board 53 x 52cm
- Camel elder. 2014 mixed media on linen 97 x 99cm
- Big sea off Pentireglaze. February 2014 mixed media on board 31 x 34cm
- Camel Estuary mouth and blackthorn. November 2012 acrylic 18 x 20cm
- Near the source of the Camel. Linnets in the treetops. May 2013 mixed media on paper 57 x 61cm
- Oyster catchers fly through the surf. November 2013 mixed media on paper 57 x 62cm